Our jewellery is made using either Gold Filled, Gold Vermeil or Sterling Silver components which, when properly cared for, offer a longevity not found with plated components.
Gold filled is not to be confused with gold plate. Gold filled is composed of a solid layer of gold, pressure bonded to a base metal, such as brass or copper. It is more expensive to produce and more tarnish resistant than plated materials and will not flake. If well looked after it should retain its' colour and shine, making it a purse friendly alternative to solid gold.
Gold vermeil is very similar to gold filled jewellery, except the base metal is always sterling silver. This makes vermeil a much better choice for somebody who suffers from skin allergies to other base metals. Gold vermeil is a little more expensive than gold filled jewellery, as both the base and coating are of precious metal.
Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, alloyed with a small quantity of harder metal (usually copper), to make it less soft and more durable. Sterling silver is ideal for jewellery as it is more scratch resistant and hard-wearing than pure silver.Jewellery Care Tips
- Apply any skin or hair products before you put on your jewellery. The chemicals found in these products can be abrasive and cause silver to tarnish and gold to erode.
- Always remove jewellery when in the shower, bath, swimming pool or sea, as the water and moisture can cause oxidation.
- The chemicals found in sweat and oils in the skin can speed up the tarnish process. Remember to remove your jewellery when exercising and over night if you want them to stay shiny and bright.
- Store your jewellery in a cool dry place. A jewellery box with anti-tarnish lining, such as acid free tissue paper, is ideal.
- To clean jewellery, use warm soapy water and rub with a soft cloth. Rinse with cool water and buff gently with a soft cloth until dry. A good quality silver cloth also works well but be careful with gold filled items as silver cloths can remove some of the gold coating and shine leaving the item looking dull.